How does Tornado Cash compare to Railgun?

Seems that Railgun launches tonight based upon a 0.25% fee for deposits and withdrawals.

How does this compare to Tornado Cash for relatively small fish like me? Sort of sub 10 eth retail types?

So say I had 7 Eth I’d like to put into a privacy app… What would be the cost and benefits of both? How much would it cost me in fees and gas?

1 Like

How does Tornado Cash compare to Railgun?

For starters, Tornado is live in production with real users…

Railgun launches tonight based upon a 0.25% fee for deposits and withdrawals.

How does this compare to Tornado Cash for relatively small fish like me? Sort of sub 10 eth retail types?

There is technically no fee for Tornado. Only gas costs. If you want to use a relayer to boost anonymity, then it’ll cost you their fee. Many relayers offer 0.1% relays

So say I had 7 Eth I’d like to put into a privacy app… What would be the cost and benefits of both? How much would it cost me in fees and gas?

They seem to be very different. Tornado is a mixer. And Railgun - although unclear in their documentation - appears to be an anon signer of txs. Which I don’t really understand the full value in that. If you mix your funds once and withdraw it to a virgin wallet with Tornado, then everything you do in that new wallet is perfectly anonymous already. You don’t need anonymous controllers/signers to sign on your behalf at that point. You’ve already accomplished the primary objective of introducing anonymity to your money.

Don’t know if that help, but it’s my perspective

1 Like