Announcing the Tornado Cash Community Fund Proposal
A proposal has been submitted to governance to create the Tornado Cash Community Fund. The purpose of the fund is to reward community members who make outstanding contributions to the development and adoption of the Tornado Cash protocol - any and all skillsets are welcome. You are now welcome to vote on the proposal.
The Tornado Cash Community Fund is proposed to be seeded with 5% of the total protocol treasury. This includes an initial allocation of 22,916.66 TORN with an additional 4,583.33 TORN added per month for one year.
The purpose of these funds is to reward active community contributors who play a key role in the growth of Tornado Cash. Some examples of key contributor roles (KCRs) include, but are not limited to:
- Developers building on the Tornado cash protocol
- Auditors who review code and find bugs or vulnerabilities
- Proposal architects (folks who don’t code, but refine designs)
- Content creators (educational content, blogs, videos, memes, etc)
- Potential DAO hires
Assuming the proposal passes, funding will take place on the torn.community governance forum. If you would like to request funding, nominate another key contributor for funding, or discuss additional KCRs which the community may be interested in incentivizing, you should feel free to create a new thread using the
Funding category or join an existing one.
Funding will occur on an ad-hoc basis, but may be refined to a regular schedule, such as twice per month. All community members are invited to suggest appropriate funding reward amounts for each contributor’s efforts. There is no central authority responsible for determining rewards amounts.
Community funds are proposed to be held in a 2-of-3 Gnosis Safe Multisig Wallet at the address
0xb04E030140b30C27bcdfaafFFA98C57d80eDa7B4. Keys are held by peer-elected community members:
The responsibility of these three key holders is to follow the will of the community based on discussions by forum members to sign off on reward payouts.
To ensure the multisig key holders are limited in their control of funds, some assurances have been made:
- The proposal is only allocating 5% of total available TORN of the governance treasury to the multisig. 458.3k TORN already vested to the governance treasury. An addition 91.6k is vesting every month. This multisig would manages 5% of the already vested funds (22,916 TORN) and 5% of the funds to vest in the next 12 months (12 x 4,583 = 55,000 TORN).
- The 55k TORN from future vesting unlock will be streamed to the multisig wallet on a per block basis over 1 year using Sablier. Tornado Cash governance will be able to stop the stream and be refunded at any point in time during the 1 year period.
- Additional multisig holders can be added in time to increase the signature threshold from 2-of-3 to, say, 4-of-5.
Prior to the proposal submission, a long series of discussions first took place on the forum to determine how the Community Fund would be structured:
- Feb 14th // Rezan consolidated various forum threads and compiled a poll to determine where governance efforts should be focused next. Community renumeration was ranked as the 4th highest priority
- Feb 14th // In the above conversation, Poma suggested opening a dedicated thread to discuss renumeration, which ethdev created. The bulk of the discussion that led to the formal proposal took place here
- April 20 // After months of discussion, Optionsmate then created a poll based on the action items from the above thread. Here the multisig holders were nominated and the 5% allocation of vested TORN was voted upon.
Please note: You are invited to join any of these thread if you would like to expand upon the existing conversations or to help steer the future direction of the Tornado Cash Community Fund.
Multisig key holders and signers are, themselves, KCRs. They assume the responsibilities of:
- maintaining active engagement with the forum to identify valid contributors and moderate fraudulent activity
- participating in communication with the community to receive constructive feedback and act upon it when appropriate
- enacting the will of the community when issuing rewards based on the soft consensus of the forum
- possessing a willingness to step down from their position if they are found to no longer be fit for the position by their peers or by themselves
- signing transactions in a timely manner
While not hard coded into the Tornado Community Fund Proposal, the multisig signers whom are included in the proposal are requesting from the community that they be permitted to issue themselves each 100 TORN per month as reward for their own KCR obligations and various other contributions to the ecosystem.
The multisig signers also request that the community permit them with the ability to sign for a transaction to cover any potential legal fees which may arise as a direct result of multisig involvement, although unlikely.
The proposal was developed and tested by @Rezan, it can be seen on the following Github repo:
GitHub - Rezan-vm/tornado-cash-proposal-fund-multisig.
It was deployed at the following address:
If you’d like to discuss the details of the proposal with the community, please feel free to join the conversation here on the forum by participating in this official Tornado Cash Community Fund proposal thread.
Thank you for reading, and may your anonymity set always be high